We love chips and dip! In fact, dips can be a great way for kids to learn to like a variety of new foods. (Check out these nutritious and delicious dips)
But corn tortilla chips are considered a “top choking hazard” for children under the age of 5! You know that feeling when a chip “gets stuck in your throat”? Well that can actually happened, especially to kids who aren’t as apt at chewing properly yet.
But you certainly don’t have to skip out on the chips & dip! In fact, it takes less than 5 minutes and just 2 ingredients to make your own, safer chips.
First you will need to grab:
- Flour tortillas (white or wheat will work & gluten free if you need it)
- Oil (olive oil, canola oil or avocado oil)
- Slice up your tortilla(s) into triangles using a pizza cutter or knife. (Pizza cutter is easier but not required!)
- Brush your tortilla slices on both sides lightly with the oil of your choice
- OPTIONAL: sprinkle with salt and/or cumin to add some flavor
- Bake at 450F (232C) for 5 minutes
- Allow time to cool & then enjoy!
These are great for all ages and my go-to on those rare (okay very common) occasions where I forget to buy chips at the grocery store.
These are the perfect recipe for little your little one help! Grab a pair of children’s safety scissors (make sure to wash them) and let them cut up their own tortilla chips.