This is absolutely a “TikTok made me do it” recipe except I decided to add my own flare to it with some tortellini and WOW! This is definitely worth a try.
It is a super simple recipe that can be thrown together in under 30 minutes. Plus it is something that EVERYONE will love!
For my toddler, I decided to reserve some of the tortellini after boiling it so he could have some plain & some like “mom’s”. You can read more about how to help your little one learn to like new foods while still respecting their personal preferences and making sure they meet their nutrient needs here.
Now if you are making this to serve for the whole family and you have a baby who is just starting solids, serving the pasta on the side might also be a good idea as this recipe is higher in sodium.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil OR 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 large chicken breasts, approximately 1 ½ to 2 pounds
- cheese tortellini, 10 oz
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ¾ cup chicken bone broth
- ½ cup heavy cream OR half & half
- ⅓ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese at room temperature
- ⅓ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375° Fahrenheit. Season each chicken breast with salt and pepper on both sides.
- In a large pot, add water and bring to a rolling boil.
- Heat olive oil in a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, add olive oil or butter and chicken to skillet. Sear for 3 to 4 minutes, then flip and sear on the other side for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove seared chicken from skillet and set aside. Add garlic to skillet and cook until fragrant, approximately 1 to 2 minutes.
- Stir in broth and heavy cream, then slowly add grated parmesan, sun-dried tomatoes, oregano, and red pepper flakes.
- Bring mixture to simmer, then return chicken breasts to skillet. Quickly flip chicken a time or two to coat in sauce, then transfer the entire skillet to the oven.
- While the mixture is simmering, add tortellini to the boiling water and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Remove the pasta and drain then add to the cast-iron skillet and mix into the sauce.
- Use the mozzarella cheese to top chicken and pasta.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165° Fahrenheit and the cheese on the top is bubbling.
This dish goes great with roasted broccoli or asparagus!