Growing up, Brussels sprouts were never something we ate. There wasn’t a particular reason – it just wasn’t something my mom made. But as an adult, I first found out I really enjoyed them when I had the stomach virus and my friend brought over a giant pot of Veggie Soup.
Inside that, I found so many of my favorite veggies surrounding the round, green little leafy things and I was so exhausted I decided to just try it – rather any pick it out. Much to my surprise, I really enjoyed them! After that, I decided I would start experimenting to see other ways I might enjoy eating these.
After lots of exploring, I have found that Brussels sprouts pair so beautifully with umami flavors such as balsamic glaze and parmesan cheese (oh, and bacon too!)
Brussels sprouts are not only really tasty, but also full of so many important nutrients!
Brussels sprouts are especially rich in vitamin K, which is necessary for blood clotting and bone health (2).
They’re also high in vitamin C, an antioxidant that helps promote iron absorption and is involved in tissue repair and immune function (3).
In addition to the nutrients above, Brussels sprouts contain small amounts of vitamin B6, potassium, iron, thiamine, magnesium and phosphorus (1).
When it comes to brussels sprouts, the quickest and tastiest way to make them is to cook them on the stove top. However, you can also roast them in the oven or cook them in the air fryer!
Shaved Brussels Sprouts with Balsamic and Parmesan Cheese
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts washed and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 – 3 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet until screaming hot, but not yet smoking.
- Add brussel sprouts to the pan, stirring every so often to cook evenly. Add salt and pepper and balsamic vinegar then continue to cook until tender and some of the sprouts are slightly charred or darkly caramelized around the edges. Remove from heat.
- Stir in parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.